1. Writers come in all and shapes and sizes and from all backgrounds.
2. Some writers hated school, some loved school.
3. Some writers needed courage to start writing, while others need courage to keep going.
4. All the writers loved writing.
5. 95% of writers have a day job. (Like Nye Wright, I belong to the 95% – more on that later.)
ps: It can be pretty bitchy out there, I overheard someone in the press yurt say of one of the writers: “Oh her? She’s no one!” Miaow!
pps: And, yes, they really do call the tents “yurts”. Below is the inside of the press yurt. It was really quite nice, you could make yourself a cuppa and grab a little pastry while writing your stuff (the alcohol was in the authors’ yurt!). To conclude, it was lovely to interview the writers and it was great to get a glimpse behind the scenes at the EIBF (Frances in the press yurt was really helpful), but I’m not sure I’ll do it again ;o)